Wal-Mart got a lot of attention when it annouced its $4 generic drug program last year. Now Publix is doing it even better with its FREE program. Most generic antibiotics are Free for a 14 day supply. While the low prices are getting the attention these days, the fact is that prescription drugs and the pharmacy unit of grocery stores are big business. They have a higher profit margin than other areas. So watch your bottom line. To shop smart you might need to fill your prescriptions at more than one pharmacy. But with online ordering, it shouldn’t as much of a hassle.
Here is a run down of all the discount drug programs offered in stores:
1. Wal-Mart & Sams Club offer 300 generic drugs for $4 for a 30 day supply. For their complete list visit Wal-Mart’s discount drug list. According to their site: “The eligible drugs in this program represent over 27% of the prescriptions Wal–Mart pharmacies dispense each year.”
2. Costco has actually been the quiet leader in the discount prescription drug movement. They charge around $10 for a 90 day supply of most generics. Their prices are consistently lower than the corner drugstore. You can check all the prices on the Costco Pharmacy site.
Remember that you DO NOT need a membership to shop at the pharmacy at Sam’s Club or Costco.
3. Publix is offering a 14 day supply of the most common oral antibiotics for free. According to their site: “These antibiotics account for almost 50 percent of the generic, pediatric prescriptions filled at Publix.” You can find a complete list of the free drugs at the Publix Pharmacy site.
4. Meijer also offers free antibiotics for a 14 day supply. You can view their list at the Meijer Pharmacy site.
5. Kmart offers a 90 day supply of over 150 generic drugs for $15. Here is the complete list of KMart’s discount generics. They also have an On Time Guarantee program at their pharmacy. Your prescription is ready when promised or they will give you a $20 gift card.
6. Target’s program is similar to Wal-Mart. They offer 30 day generic supply for $4. They have a selection of over 300 drugs. Here is the Target discount drug list.