With the holiday season coming up, gift cards will be a great gift option for many shoppers. Most shoppers know to look for deals when purchasing items as gifts, but do you know to look for deals when purchasing gift cards? Here are some tips on getting gift cards for less:
1. Shop during special occasions – Retailers have gift card promotions during major holidays such as Christmas, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Many times they will offer an added bonus to a gift card purchase. You especially see this at restaurants. The Brinker restaurant group which owns Macaroni Grill and Chili’s for example offers a free $5 bonus for every $25 card purchased.
2. Look to credit cards – Credit card issuers such as Visa, Mastercard and Amex frequently have gift card promotions on their discounts website. Amex for example has an offer for 10% off Linens N Things or Visa has a discount for Spawish.com.
3. Costco: Costco and Costco.com offer a variety of gift cards for less than face value. You can find $100 worth of Starbucks gift cards for $79.99. Other gift card offers include restaurants, iTunes and Spafinder.
3. SwapaGift.com – This website offers discounted gift cards. If you purchase a card directly from SwapaGift, it is guaranteed. If you purchase one through one of it’s users, its only guaranteed up to $100.
4. Buying from eBay or craigslist – There are many listings on both sites for gift cards, but you have to be especially careful and do some legwork. You should ask to verify the balance before you purchase. You need the card number and the toll-free balance check number. You should also ask about the expiration date. Many cards have expiration dates where some or all of the value is lost.